Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Crazy Summer Fun

The flight of his life began on a sunny Sunday afternoon while mommy was huddled into a puddle trying to convince herself that flying was safe and God is strong and good enough to protect her son. He may not appear excited, but Silas was probably just masking his anticipation with the confidence of his gender. "Papa Dennis" took my eldest up into an airplane, a J-3 Cub to be exact, and claimed that Silas was one of the only children to ever hold the controls and observe the plane's appearance as he turned and climbed through the air. I've always recognized "Claridge-like" patterns in Silas, but never more than his thrill over this small propeller plane.
Silas high in the air over the pond.

I did have Dennis take me up to preview the safety of the J-3 pleasure flights. I didn't have quite as much fun as Silas, but it was thrilling to see everything from the sky.

Silas couldn't have all the fun! Shauna and I decided to try out some new tricks on the zip line. Double the weight turned out to not be too much for the little line. We even dropped on top of the water trampoline at the bottom!

2 comments:

Cyndi Mulligan said...

You ARE brave! So high in the sky, so little to hold on to, dependent on someone else----and that was just the zip line. =D

Barry said...

Thanks Cyndi! Letting Silas go up in the plane was probably the event that required the most faith for me so far as a mother. My family is full of pilots...but I somehow am afraid of little airplanes. :)